About the American Language Institute
The American Language Institute (ALI) offers you...
- Over fifty years of experience meeting the language and academic orientation needs of international students from more than 50 different countries.
- An intensive language program that emphasizes university preparation and academic skills.
- A highly-trained and internationally recognized teaching staff.
- Small classes and individual attention.
- Four proficiency levels for students with TOEFL scores of 325-600.
- TOEFL preparation classes for all levels.
- Separate intensive TOEFL preparation course.
- Two institutional TOEFL testings each semester.
- Special admission to San Francisco State University for qualified students.
- Individual counseling and advising.
- Housing information for both on-campus and off-campus housing.
- Access to all University resources and facilities.
- An opportunity to study and live in America's favorite city.
The American Language Institute
The American Language Institute was founded in 1961. It is one of the oldest and most respected language programs in the United States. The ALI is affiliated with San Francisco State University, a large urban campus with over 25,000 students and 300 fields of study. The ALI is a small program (150 students per semester), which offers lots of individual attention from teachers and advisors. Class size ranges from 12 to 20, with average size between 15 and 18. Classes are taught by a highly trained, internationally recognized teaching staff.
San Francisco State University is a leader in the field of English language teaching methodology, and the ALI is well-known for its up-to-date curriculum and the effectiveness of its methods. ALI faculty also teach in the university's department of English, and many are internationally known for their work in English language teaching research, writing, and curriculum development.
The American Language Institute is a charter member of both the Consortium University and College Intensive English Programs (UCIEP) and the American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP).
Studying English in San Francisco
The American Language Institute is located on the campus of San Francisco State University. San Francisco is known as "America's Favorite City," and is famous for its great beauty, its mild climate, and its cultural diversity. It is sophisticated and cosmopolitan, with a population that comes from all over the world. San Francisco is also close to the famous "Silicon Valley," the center of the computer industry in the United States. Within a single day you can reach most of California's important business, social, and tourist attractions.
For complete information see the about the American Language Institute website.