The first of two hands-on detailed estimating courses in which students learn how to estimate general conditions, site work, excavation, concrete and masonry. Be sure to look over the prerequisite knowledge for this class.
To do well in this CP 9105 estimating and bidding course students should already have the following skills:
- Know how to read blueprints
- Know how to use a spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel, Numbers (Mac), or the spreadsheet software found in open source software programs (i.e. LibreOffice, Open Office)
- Have a basic knowledge of construction estimating subjects including:
o Basic math skills
o Estimating terminology (quantity take off, unit price, production rate, etc.)
o Use of the calculator and architectural scale
- Be able to organize your work so it can be easily understood by others
Students should consider taking Introduction to Construction Estimating and/or Construction Blueprint Reading if they need more information in these areas before taking this class.
- Planning for and organizing an estimate.
- Estimating the cost of general conditions.
- Preparing quantity take off of excavation and back-fill.
- Preparing a quantity take off of concrete, and form work.
- Using unit prices to price estimates.
- Preparing a quantity take off and conceptual estimate of masonry work.
Textbook: Estimating and Bidding 1
Link to: Estimating in Building Construction, 9th Edition by Steven Peterson and Frank Dagostino
Students will also need the following materials:
- A calculator
- An architectural scale
- A couple of colored pencils
- A spreadsheet program (Excel, Numbers). An acceptable free spreadsheet program can be downloaded from OpenOffice.org
|Dates||Days and Times||Location||Faculty|
Course fee $576
|Refund Code||Full Refund||75% Refund||No Refund|
|CEL_1||Class dropped one day prior to class start day||N/A||Class dropped on or beyond class start day|
Last Update: Mar 03, 2021 5:03pm