Anyone with a valid non-immigrant visa (except B1/B2, F2, M2) may enroll in SF State Extended Learning courses. Although enrollment in SF State Extended Learning is not considered admission to SF State, an I-20 ("Certificate of Eligibility") for F-1 student status will be issued when students are accepted into a full-time certificate program in SF State Extended Learning and require a student visa to enter the country.
There are three designated programs for which an I-20 for F-1 student visas can be issued:
- Paralegal Studies
- International Business
- Hospitality & Tourism Management
Students entering the US using an F-1 visa must maintain full-time student status during the time they are enrolled in an approved certificate program at SF State Extended Learning.
Fall 2018 Certificate Application Deadline: May 25, 2018
- The fall 2018 international admissions cycle for the College of Extended Learning opens January 15, 2018.
Applications for fall 2018 admission are due in the Extended Learning office by May 25, 2017.
Applications may sometimes be accepted after this deadline based on program availability and on a case by case basis.
- A complete application, $100 non-refundable fee and all supporting documents are required before review.
Application Process & Non-Refundable Application Fee
- For all application details and requirements, please download and review the Step-by-Step Application Check List and Fee Information (PDF forms below).
- Complete the College of Extended Learning International Certificate Application (PDF below).
- Mail application and the $100 non-refundable application fee payable by check or money order only - made out to SFSU-CEL.
Send complete application including all required supporting documentation to:
San Francisco State University
College of Extended Learning
International Certificate Admissions
835 Market Street, 6th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103-1901
(This is the same address official sealed transcripts/translations should be mailed to – make sure to have it mailed to this exact address to avoid delays.)
- International Certificate Checklist - Step by Step (PDF)
- Student Fees (PDF)
- International Student Application (PDF)
After Admission and Before Registering for Classes:
For Further Information Contact:
Application Process and Admission: