Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) Certificate
The 31-unit Post Master's FNP certificate program is tailored for nurses who already possess a master's degree in nursing and desire to become a nurse practitioner. Most classes meet in the evenings, however students are required to have sufficient flexibility in their schedules to complete the clinical practicum hours during regular business hours (Monday through Friday). Nurse Practitioner faculty provide advising and mentoring to assist students in balancing work, study and personal life responsibilities. In addition, small class sizes facilitate peer support. Upon completion of this program students become eligible for California NP certification & national board certification and may then practice independently and in collaboration with other health care professionals to assess, diagnose, and manage the needs of patients of all ages.
Prospective students must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate program.
- Master's degree or higher in nursing
- Current RN licensure in California
- A minimum of one year RN clinical experience
- NURS 708 Diagnosis and Management in Primary Care
- NURS 711 Advanced Physical Assessment Across the Life Span
- NURS 715 Pharmacological Principles Across the Life Span
- NURS 716 Advanced Pathophysiology and Diagnostic Reasoning I
- NURS 717 Advanced Pathophysiology and Diagnostic Reasoning II
- NURS 804 Professional Issues and Nurse Practitioner Skills
- NURS 810 Family Nurse Practitioner Practicum I
- NURS 811 Family Nurse Practitioner Practicum II
- NURS 812 Family Nurse Practitioner Practicum III
For More Information
To learn more about our school, program offerings, and faculty please visit the Nursing website.
Prospective students must apply online via CSU Mentor (to the University) and NursingCAS (to the School of Nursing). Information about our master's and post master's application process can be found at School of Nursing > Post Master's Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate.
The application deadline for our Post Master's FNP Certificate program is February 15 for subsequent fall admission.