For the latest information, please go to SF State Pre-Health Professions
The College of Science & Engineering offers a full-time, two-year program designed for students who already have a bachelor's degree, to obtain prerequisite coursework necessary to apply for medical school. This program benefits students seeking to apply to dental, pharmacy, optometry, and veterinary medicine health profession schools.
This intensive program guides a cohort of 20 - 60 students through dedicated introductory science lecture and lab courses, discussion sections, clinical experience and a Health Professions Colloquium.
- Complete pre-requisite course work with guaranteed entrance into Program classes.
- Move through the Program as a cohort of up to 60 students.
- Class size is reasonable. Lectures will have up to 60 formal post-bacs, while labs and discussion sections have up to 30 formal post-bacs each.
- Auxiliary course work in the form of discussion sections will enhance learning.
- Individual and group help in writing personal statements and practicing for interviews.
- Allowed to take additional, non-Program course work as electives at a lower tuition.
- Provides at a nominal fee an optional "Post-Bac Bootcamp".
- Provides stress-management tools at nominal fees during the first summer.
- Helps participants find productive clinical experiences in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- The Program strongly promotes admitting a diverse group of participants.
- Support of the Program Director, Program Assistant and a Faculty Committee.
- Modern teaching methods and health related information.
Integration of the following into appropriate course material:
- The use of MCAT/DAT/GRE-style test questions.
- The use of case-based learning exercises (used in many health profession schools).
- Information on healthcare disparities and complementary and alternative medicine.