During the recent U.S. recession, an estimated 2.3 million construction workers left the industry for other jobs. The lack of construction workers from that time continues to be a challenge for construction firms across the country today. Demand for skilled construction professionals has created an opportunity for workers seeking to advance their careers in this industry.
Whether you’re already working in construction or seeking a new career, the College of Extended Learning has some great options. Students may take individual classes based on previous experience and knowledge or choose from our four online construction certificate programs to build or advance your skills. Course times will be scheduled year-round to accommodate busy working professionals.
Online Certificates of Completion
We offer four online certificates of completion:
- Certificate in Construction Practices
- Certificate in Construction Estimating
- Certificate in Construction Project Management
- Certificate in Construction Supervision (Emphasis in Building)
In these programs, you will learn:
- Proven techniques from experts in construction specialties.
- Practical on-the-job skills you can use right away.
- The knowledge you need to move into supervisory and/or project management roles.
This program is presented in partnership with Construction Experts, Inc. Formed in 1994, Construction Experts, Inc. provides guided online courses for educational institutions and non-profit industry organizations. The organization's classes provide much needed skills training for construction professionals looking to gain an edge in the marketplace.
Construction Experts, Inc. offices are closed in 2019 between Christmas and New Year's Day, along with the following holidays. Classes with faculty will not be held on these days.
Leave a message or send email during this period and we will respond as soon as possible.
Monday, February 18 Presidents' Day
Monday, May 27 Memorial Day
Thursday, July 4 Independence Day
Monday, September 2 Labor Day
Monday, October 14 Columbus Day
Thursday - Friday, November 28 - 29 Thanksgiving
December 25 - January 1 Winter Break
- Course Fee: $576 per class
- Textbooks: Approximately $100 – $150/class
- Duration of each class: 10 Weeks (4.5 CEUs per class)
- Students may take individual courses based on experience or choose a certificate
Students need access to a stable Internet connection to successfully complete a class and/or certificate program. Students will spend an average of 3 - 5 hours per week working in class.
All students will need an SF State ID & Password to enable registration and payment at the College of Extended Learning. Use Quick Admit to obtain an SF State ID & Password.
Once students register and pay for a class, they will receive an email with login information from their faculty at Construction Experts. This process is approximately a 24-hour turnaround depending on the registration date, so please be sure to register early.
There are no required prerequisite classes, however, be sure to read full course description for each class with learning objectives and prerequisite knowledge to assess where you should begin taking classes. The first two classes are self-paced and may be taken at any time to get started.
- CP 9101 Introduction to Construction Estimating (self-paced)
- CP 9102 Construction Math (self-paced)
- Latest version of web browser
- A computer with stable access to the Internet
- Ability to email, create basic word processing or spreadsheet documents
- A Portable Document Format (PDF) file reader - Download Adobe Acrobat Reader