Open University at SF State



Open University

Take SF State undergraduate & graduate classes without formal admission


Class Schedule

Class Schedule

Explore SF State classes
Cost: $395 per unit

Important Dates

Important Dates

Find important dates & deadlines


Get Started

Get Started

How to register & start taking classes

Send Me Updates

Send Me Updates

Join our mailing list to stay updated


Students sitting on the grass at San Francisco State University
Students study in library at San Francisco State University
San Francisco State University sign and trees




About Open University


What is Open University?

Open University allows you to take space-available SF State undergraduate and graduate classes without formal admission to the University.

You can apply up to 24 undergraduate units toward a bachelor’s degree or six graduate units toward a master’s degree at SF State.

Who should take Open University?

  • Community college students who want to graduate sooner by taking upper-division coursework before transferring to a university
  • College students who need to improve their GPA before re-enrolling at SF State or another university
  • High school students who are ready to take college-level classes and have completed their junior year
  • Professionals who want to change their work by gaining new skills or knowledge
  • Anyone who wants to learn something new about a favorite subject

If you are a matriculated* SF State student, you are not eligible to enroll in Open University.

*A matriculated student is one who has applied to SF State, is admitted to SF State, or who is enrolled in SF State academic credit classes for the current semester. If you are enrolled for the current semester, you are considered matriculated for the next two semesters, even if you don’t take academic credit classes at SF State.

International Students

I-20 forms cannot be issued for students enrolling in academic credit classes through Open University. Students who have a valid visa, or an I-20 from another school, may take courses through Open University. These students will be personally responsible for ensuring they remain in compliance with USCIS regulations.

See Center for Global Engagement.