Open University allows you to take space-available SF State undergraduate and graduate classes without formal admission to the University. You can apply up to 24 undergraduate units toward a bachelor’s degree or six graduate units toward a master’s degree at SF State.
Explore SF State classes
Find important dates and deadlines
How to register and start taking classes
Take SF State undergraduate and graduate classes during winter break. With Winter Session you can earn up to four units in just three weeks, January 3, 2023 - January 24, 2023.
Registration starts November 2, 2022.
About Open University
Who should take Open University?
- Community college students who want to graduate sooner by taking upper-division coursework before transferring to a university
- College students who need to improve their GPA before re-enrolling at SF State or another university
- High school students who are ready to take college-level classes and have completed their junior year
- Professionals who want to change their work by gaining new skills or knowledge
- Anyone who wants to learn something new about a favorite subject
If you are a matriculated* SF State student, you are not eligible to enroll in Open University.
*A matriculated student is one who has applied to SF State, is admitted to SF State, or who is enrolled in SF State academic credit classes for the current semester. If you are enrolled for the current semester, you are considered matriculated for the next two semesters, even if you don’t take academic credit classes at SF State.
I-20 forms cannot be issued for students enrolling in academic credit classes through Open University. Students who have a valid visa, or an I-20 from another school, may take courses through Open University. These students will be personally responsible for ensuring they remain in compliance with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations.
Cost and Length
Cost: $395 per unit
Length: One semester in fall and spring (4 months), one session in summer (1 - 2 months)
When to Start: Fall, Spring, Summer