EKG Technician Online
Professional Development Certificate
The EKG Technician Profession
Now you can study to become a certified EKG Technician at your own pace and within your schedule. The EKG Technician online course includes interactive learning modules, 24/7 mentoring, learning exercises, labs and a student portal with career resources.
EKG technicians are in demand! EKG technicians work in physician's offices, hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare facilities and organizations. EKG technicians also work for insurance companies to provide data for health and life insurance policies. Similar to other growing healthcare professions, the demand for EKG technicians is expected to continue to grow substantially. Approximately 25% more EKG technician jobs will be available by the year 2022.
Self-paced eLearning course includes six months access, all textbooks, workbooks, and related course material.
- Register: Visit How to Register
- Contact: For more information, advising and questions call 1.888.574.6218 or 1.866.217.8931.
The EKG Technician Online Course
This EKG Technician program prepares students to function as EKG technicians.
This course covers the following key areas and topics:
- Detailed anatomy and physiology of the heart
- Medical disease processes and terminology
- Medical ethics and legal aspects of patient contact
- Electrocardiography and echocardiography
- An introduction to the components, function, and proper use of the EKG machine
- The normal anatomy of the chest wall for proper lead placement
- 12-lead placement and other practices
Education & Certification
- EKG Technicians should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- There are several EKG technician national certification exams that are available to students.
- The National Healthcareer Association (NHA) requires 10 EKGs on live individuals.
Detailed Course Topics Covered
- Role of the EKG Technician
- Function of the EKG Department in a variety of settings (hospital, clinic, office, mobile service)
- Medical terminology related to electrocardiography
- Care and safety of patients including medical and legal aspects of patient care
- Anatomy and physiology of the cardiovascular system
- Electrophysiology, the conduction system of the heart, and the cardiac cycle
- Circulation of blood through the heart and vessels
- Lead placement for 12-lead electrocardiography
- Basic EKG interpretation of normal rhythms and arrhythmias
- EKG troubleshooting including recognizing artifacts
- Waves and measurements
- EKG strip analysis (P,Q,R,S,T wave-form interpretation)
- Identification of rhythms using the 12-lead EKG
- Holter monitoring and the echocardiogram
These programs include access to an online community with interactive content and robust student services.
Each course includes:
These courses are highly interactive and provide students with an enriched learning experience. Each course was developed to ensure that students gain the necessary skills to excel in a professional healthcare environment. Additionally, these programs include access to an online community with interactive content and robust student services. Each course includes:
- 24/7 instructor support and course mentoring
- Online healthcare content that supplements each course
- Student and instructor collaboration
- Engaging labs, student exercises, course videos and animated simulations
- Student pre and post assessments and online performance tracking
- National and state certification opportunities
A secure Student Portal which includes:
career guidance, resume writing and other career resources
How to Enroll
For more information, advising, and questions call Health Ed Today at 1.888.574.6218 or 1.866.217.8931. Students may also fill out pre-registration form, visit Health Ed Today SF State Extended Learning. Once you enroll, you will be sent detailed instructions and a link to the course. The course must be completed within six months to receive a Certificate of Completion.