Medical Administrative Assistant Online
Online Certificate Course with 40-Hour Clinical Externship
The Medical Administrative Assistant Profession
Medical administrative assistants primarily work in doctor's offices, clinics, outpatient settings, hospitals and other healthcare settings. Medical administrative assistants, medical secretaries and medical records clerks are all positions in great demand. The growth and the complexity of the U.S. healthcare system have resulted in a substantial increase in the need for qualified medical administrative assistants. Employment of a medical assistant is expected to grow an impressive 34% by 2022.
The Medical Administrative Assistant Online Course
This online course prepares students to function effectively in many of the administrative and clerical positions in the healthcare industry. It provides students a well-rounded introduction to medical administration that delivers the skills students require to obtain an administrative medical assistant position or advance within their current healthcare career. This course covers the following key areas and topics:
- History and background of the medical assisting profession
- Interpersonal skills, medical ethics and basic medical law
- Telephone techniques and skills for scheduling appointments
- Medical terminology
- Basics of insurance billing and coding
- Medical records management and management of practice finances
Education & Certification
- Medical administrative assistants should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- Several national certification options are available to students who complete this course.
Self-paced eLearning course includes six months access, all textbooks, workbooks, and related course material. Course also includes an optional 40-hour clinical externship at a local healthcare provider.
- Contact: For more information and advising, call (888) 574-6218 or (866) 217-8931 or email program coordinator Jenifer Graff.
- Register: Visit How to Register
Detailed Course Topics Covered
- An overview of the healthcare industry and expectations for a healthcare professional
- Role of the medical administrative assistant
- History of medicine, medicine and the law, medical malpractice, medical ethics and medical practice specialties
- Ethical and legal issues, fraud abuse and compliance
- Office and patient communication techniques, appointment scheduling and general office duties
- Technology in the healthcare environment
- Basic terminology used in the medical office
- Medical records management, confidentiality of the medical record, initiating a medical record for a new client and filing reports in the medical record
- HIPAA review and patient bill of rights and confidentiality
- Financial and practice management
- Health insurance coverage and billing and coding procedures
- Professional fees, billing and collecting procedures, accounting systems and credit arrangements
- Medical accounting, financial statements, cost analysis and budgets for the medical practice
- Specimen collection, laboratory safety, and federal and state regulations
- Assisting with medical emergencies
- Career development
These courses include access to an online community with interactive content and robust student services.
Each online course includes:
- 24/7 instructor support and course mentoring
- Online healthcare content that supplements each course
- Student and instructor collaboration
- Engaging labs, student exercises, course videos and animated simulations
- Student pre and post assessments and online performance tracking
- National and state certification opportunities
- A secure Student Portal which includes: career guidance, resume writing and other career resources
- Includes 40-hour clinical externship
Tuition includes all textbooks, workbooks and related course material.
How to Enroll
For more information, advising and questions call Health Ed Today at (888) 574-6218 or (866) 217-8931. Students may also fill out a pre-registration form by visiting Health Ed Today. Once you enroll, you will be sent detailed instructions and a link to the course. The course must be completed within six months to receive a Certificate of Completion.