Prepare for Certification
This online course prepares students to function effectively in many of the administrative and clerical positions in the healthcare industry. It provides students a well-rounded introduction to medical administration that delivers the skills students require to obtain an administrative medical assistant position or advance within their current healthcare career. Several national certification options are available to students who complete this course.
What You Will Learn
This course covers the following key areas and topics:
- History and background of the medical assisting profession
- Interpersonal skills, medical ethics and basic medical law
- Telephone techniques and skills for scheduling appointments
- Medical terminology
- Basics of insurance billing and coding
- Medical records management and management of practice finances
The Medical Administrative Assistant Profession
Medical administrative assistants primarily work in doctor's offices, clinics, outpatient settings, hospitals and other healthcare settings. Medical administrative assistants, medical secretaries and medical records clerks are all positions in great demand. The growth and the complexity of the U.S. healthcare system have resulted in a substantial increase in the need for qualified medical administrative assistants. Employment of a medical assistant is expected to grow an impressive 34% by 2022.