The Project Management certificate program provides students the Project Management Institute’s Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) framework needed to manage any project. The program offers training in the essential elements of initiating and closing a successful project, including scheduling and risk management. Students may take individual in-person or online courses, or earn a certificate.
Earn a certificate online or in person
Online and in-person project management classes
Learn more and start taking classes
About the Program
- Project Management is the discipline of planning, organizing and managing resources in a way that allows a project to be completed within a defined scope, quality, time and cost constraints
- This program is designed for current professionals seeking to add project management knowledge and techniques in their current positions, professionals seeking promotion, career-changers or those just breaking in to this expanding field
- Courses are held typically evenings or weekends
- Courses are 18 classroom hours each (1.8 CEUs)
- Course schedules may vary semester to semester
- Courses are offered in spring/summer/fall semesters
Who Should Take Courses
- Project managers seeking to be an applicant for the Project Management Professional (PMP)® exam credential
- Project leaders who want to take their management skills to the next level
- Anyone who wants to lead a project effectively throughout its life cycle, from initiation to successful completion
Authorized Training Partner (A.T.P.)®
As a Authorized Training Partner (A.T.P.)® of project management training, the program is based on the Project Management Institute (PMI)®, Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide). SF State Extended Learning abides by PMI® established quality assurance criteria.
Professional Development Units (PDU)
PMI® Professional Development Units (PDU) are applicable to PMI® credential holders. One hour of education activity is equal to one PDU. A 1.8 CEU class is equal to 18 PDU.
Project Management: Fundamentals
Cost: $2,850 | Length: 108 Hours | When to Start: Fall, Spring, Summer
Project Management: Professional
Cost: $4,750 | Length: 180 Hours | When to Start: Fall, Spring, Summer
As a result of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) of 2014, CalJOBS provides connections to customer-focused employment training for adults and dislocated workers. SF State is an approved provider for WIOA funds. SF State is listed on the Eligible Training Provider List (ETPL) on the CalJOBS website. Search on Keyword: SF State College of Extended Learning.
What Students Say
“All my classes were fun. The teachers had been in the field for many years, so they were not just book smart. They provided relevant work examples one would encounter day to day while being on the job.”
- Teason Miao, Junior Engineer
*Annual mean salary and projected job growth for project management specialists in the San Francisco Bay Area, May 2021. Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
PMBOK, PMP and CAPM are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
The documents on this website/webpage might not be fully accessible to persons with disabilities. We are working to fix these accessibility barriers by March 2023. If you experience difficulty in accessing this content, please contact the web team, and we will provide you with accessible alternatives.