Frequently Asked Questions



  • Graduate culminating experience courses numbered 892 - 895 and 898.
  • All supervisory courses, this includes but is not limited to Independent study courses numbered 699 and 899, Internship Courses, Cooperative Education courses. See Special / Independent Study for more registration information.
  • To see a list of courses not available through Open University see Course Restrictions.

The Class Schedule will show 0 in the Seats column.

Yes, there are some financial assistance options available, such as Employee Reimbursement/Assistance and alternative loans. Non-U.S citizens are not eligible for financial aid. For more information please see Financial Assistance.

I have been dis-enrolled or disqualified from SF State.

You can take courses in the term following your disqualification. If you are disqualified at the end of fall semester, you can take courses in winter or spring; if you are disqualified at the end of spring semester, you can take courses in summer or fall.


I am a junior in high school.

If you have completed your junior year you must include a letter from your principal or counselor supporting your intent to take Open University classes. Please include this letter with your registration form and payment.


I have applied to SF State, been admitted or have enrolled in a SF State academic credit class for the current semester.

You are not eligible for Open University. You are a matriculated student. If you are enrolled for the current semester, you are still considered a matriculated student for the next two semesters, even if you do not take academic credit classes at SF State.

You can take up to 24 units to an undergraduate degree and up to 6 units for a graduate degree.

To raise your SF State Overall GPA, you must take your courses through Open University at SF State.

For advising, see the Disqualified Student Advising form on the Forms page.

Current students may view and print their unofficial transcripts online at no charge by accessing their Student Center on the SF State Gateway. SF State ID & Password are required in order to use this service.

For information about requesting official transcripts visit Transcripts.