Now you can study to become a certified Pharmacy Technician at your own pace and within your schedule. The Pharmacy Technician online course includes interactive learning modules, 24/7 mentoring, learning exercises, labs and a student portal with career resources.
The Pharmacy Technician Profession
The need for Pharmacy Technicians continues to grow with demand expected to increase through 2022. Technicians work under the supervision of a registered pharmacist in hospitals, home infusion pharmacies, community pharmacies and other healthcare settings. This high demand for pharmacy technicians is the result of a multitude of factors including the constant availability of new drugs, the national shortage of registered pharmacists, the establishment of certified pharmacy technicians and the aging population. Approximately 400,000 technicians will be employed by the year 2022 to meet our nation's growing healthcare demands.
Self-paced eLearning course includes six months access, all textbooks, workbooks and related course material. Course also includes an optional 80-hour clinical externship at a local healthcare provider.
- Contact: For more information, advising and questions call 1.888.574.6218 or 1.866.217.8931.
- Register: Visit How to Register
The Pharmacy Technician Online Course
This course will prepare students to enter the pharmacy field and to pursue certification including the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board's PTCB exam. This course covers the following key areas and topics:
- Pharmacy calculations
- Medical terminology specific to the pharmacy
- Skills to read and interpret prescriptions
- Review of the top 200 drugs
- Skills to identify drugs by generic and brand names
- Dosage calculations, IV flow rates, drug compounding and dose conversions
- Dispensing of prescriptions, inventory control and billing and reimbursement
- Students should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board's (PTCB) is the national certification exam.
- Numerous states now require PTCB certification to work as a pharmacy technician.
- Certain national and state pharmacy technician certification exams are available.
Detailed Course Topics Covered
- Pharmacy technician role and responsibilities
- Pharmacy technician certification and registration process
- Types of pharmacies including the hospital pharmacy, retail practice, long-term care practice, mail order pharmacy, home care pharmacies and others
- Drug regulation and control
- Pharmaceutical terminology and related anatomy
- Pharmacy calculations and math review
- Pharmacy measures and abbreviations
- Routes and formulations
- Parenterals and compounding
- Basic biopharmaceutics
- Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN)
- Basics of IV solutions and calculating 24-hour supply of IV solutions
- Factors affecting drug activity
- Information and pharmacy resources
- Inventory management and financial issues
- Brand names and generic drugs.
These courses include access to an online community with interactive content and robust student services.
Each course includes:
- 24/7 instructor support and course mentoring
- Online healthcare content that supplements each course
- Student and instructor collaboration
- Engaging labs, student exercises, course videos and animated simulations
- Student pre and post assessments and online performance tracking
- National and state certification opportunities
- A secure Student Portal which includes: career guidance, resume writing and other career resources
- Includes 80-hour clinical externship
Tuition includes all textbooks, workbooks and related course material.
How to Enroll
For more information, advising and questions call Health Ed Today at 1.888.574.6218 or 1.866.217.8931. Students may also fill out pre-registration form by visiting Health Ed Today. Once you enroll, you will be sent detailed instructions and a link to the course. The course must be completed within six months to receive a Certificate of Completion.
- Learn about the in-person, classroom version of this course. See Pharmacy Technician Certification.