About the Program
Students come from diverse professional backgrounds including finance, IT, construction, biotech/pharmaceutical, gaming, healthcare, government, and nonprofits. Many professionals manage projects without the working titles or formal education in project management.
This program is designed for current professionals seeking to add project management knowledge and techniques in their current positions, professionals seeking promotion, career-changers, or those just breaking in to this expanding field.
Our classes help to prepare students for the PMP® or CAPM® Exams, and are all applicable toward the hours of project management education required to sit for a variety of PMI exams. Classes are also eligible as Professional Development Units (PDU) for current PMP® credential holders seeking to fulfill training hours (one CEU is equal to ten hours of training.)
Not everyone is seeking PMI credentials, and our classes offer an opportunity to gain expertise in a variety of project management concepts for those people strictly seeking the education.
Who Should Participate
- Project leaders who want to take their management skills to the next level.
- Project managers seeking to be an applicant for the Project Management Professional (PMP)® exam credential.
- Anyone who wants to lead a project effectively throughout its life cycle, from initiation to successful completion.
PMP is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Are Online Classes Right for You?
Online classes are best suited to self-motivated students who are comfortable with technology and online learning.
Technology Requirements for Online Classes
SF State Extended Learning's online Project Management classes require students to have access to specific hardware and software as listed below:
- A personal computer, whether desktop or laptop, is required and classes can be taken using a Windows or Mac computer. Some classes require specific PC-based applications like Microsoft Project for Scheduling Fundamentals. (Trial versions are available online, and instructions are provided in the syllabus.)
- Reliable Internet connection.
- Speakers and microphones are needed for audio aspects of classes, and students may choose to turn on video if they have access on their computers.
- We recommend that students use the most current version of the Firefox browser for best online accessibility.
- Students are also required to have access to a word processor, spreadsheet, and scheduling software.
- Current versions of Flash Player, Adobe Acrobat, and Java are needed for all online courses.
Please make sure your computer and software are updated before logging into class for the first time.
Location & Frequency of Classes
On-site classes are held at the SF State Downtown Campus at 835 Market Street, 6th floor, in San Francisco. Most courses are offered three times a year, during the spring, summer and fall semesters. Most classes are held in the evenings and/or Saturdays to accommodate working professionals.
Online classes are available using our iLearn collaborative learning management system. There are weekly instructor-lead (synchronous) web conferences that students will be expected to participate in (times listed in the class schedule). Once you have registered and paid for the class, you may log in at iLearn with your SF State ID & Password. All course materials and information with links will be available once you log in. Allow up to 24 hours after registration and payment for access to class.
Please check the online schedule for the most up-to-date course offerings.
Length of Program
The time it takes to complete a certificate varies according to students' availability and interests. Students may take individual courses to study areas of interest, or complete a full certificate. Certificate students may complete a program in as few as two semesters (based on schedules and availability of classes), or take as long as needed (up to three years.)
The cost of the program is calculated on a per-class basis. Class tuition fees are available on our website. There are additional costs for required textbooks, noted with each course description, plus a certificate fee of $50. Prices may vary each semester.
About the Classes
Project Planning & Management Overview is the prerequisite for all other classes.
Course materials are provided in each class along with the syllabus. For some courses there are additional required texts. Please see individual course descriptions for required texts.
All texts may be purchased online through the PMI Bookstore or Amazon. Required textbooks may be on hand at the SF State Bookstore. (Call 415.338.2665 for availability.)
In whatever way people prepare to become certified Project Managers, the benefits are immeasurable to both the employee and the employer. Employees are rewarded with increased salaries, job promotions, and in general, better job prospects. Employers who use Project Management Professionals (PMP)® are assured that they have hired Project Managers who have a core competency in Project Management and the requisite experience to perform as a project manager.
Studies have shown that projects managed by people who are not certified Project Managers have only a 25% chance of success, whereas projects run by those who are knowledgeable in Project Management tools and techniques — as are people with the PMP® credential - have a 75% success rate.
How to Begin Taking Classes
- There is no application process to begin taking classes.
- Obtain SF State ID and Password.
- Register for classes based on individual goals and prerequisites.
- Payment is due upon registration. Space is limited. Please register three weeks in advance.
- Apply for Certificate after all classes have been successfully completed.
- Log in to iLearn using your SF State ID and Password.
For SF State ID and registration questions, please contact Enrollment Services at 415.405.7700; press '5' to speak with a staff person.
Please Register Early!
To ensure you receive course materials at the first class meeting, please enroll at least TWO weeks before the start date.
As a result of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) of 2014, CalJOBS provides connections to customer-focused employment training for adults and dislocated workers. SF State is an approved provider for WIOA funds. SF State is listed on the Eligible Training Provider List (ETPL) on the CalJOBS website. Search on Keyword: SF State.
PMBOK, PMP, and CAPM are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.