Application Procedure, Dates & Cost
Semester @ SF State - Dates, Fees & Cost of Living
|Fall Semester||Spring Semester|
*Non-refundable confirmation fee.
**Estimated total. Fees subject to change. Cost of living will vary. Textbooks not included in the tuition fee.
|Application Deadline||May 15||November 15|
|Program Dates||Late August - Late December||Late January - Late May|
|Estimated Cost of Living||$11,010||$11,010|
The course fee includes:
- 12 undergraduate units or 9 graduate units (full-time). Each additional unit costs $395
- An unlimited transportation pass for local buses and train
- Access to the brand new Mashouf Wellness Center including state of the art fitness and aquatics facilities and a recreation and outdoor program
- A robust orientation program and ongoing advising services
An activities program with:
- Outdoor recreation, cultural events and sports
- Visits to San Francisco neighborhoods famous for their unique culture, arts, music, food, businesses and more
- Guest speakers from local industries
Certificate students pay a flat program fee of $6,700 per semester which includes academic course fees ($4,740) and miscellaneous fees ($1,960). The program fee must be paid in full seven calendar days prior to the first day of semester instruction. See below summary of key dates and refund policies for academic course fees and miscellaneous fees. Please note the application fee is non-refundable.
Withdrawal from the Program
|Withdrawal Date||Miscellaneous Fees|
Withdrawal request submitted on or before August 20
(before orientation day)
Withdrawal request submitted August 21 - August 25
(orientation day through the day prior to 1st day of semester instruction)
Withdrawal request submitted on or after August 26
(1st day of semester instruction and beyond)
Drop/Withdrawal from an Academic Course
|Drop/Withdrawal Date||Academic Course Fees|
|Class dropped on or before September 16||100% refund|
|Withdrawal Period: Class dropped between September 17 and September 22||75% refund|
|Withdrawal Period: September 24 and beyond - No drops||0% refund|
Spring 2019: January 28, 2019 - May 23, 2019
Fall 2019: August 26, 2019 - December 21, 2019
Please note: Fall 2019 orientation will begin on Wednesday, August 21. All new students are required to attend.
Health Insurance Requirements
Students are required to purchase the CSU/SF State sponsored insurance offered by Relation. The only two exceptions to this are:
- Students on a government-sponsored scholarship that provides compatible insurance coverage as a part of the sponsorship.
- Students receiving insurance coverage through an employer-sponsored plan in the United States (i.e., receipt of insurance is a part of the U.S. employment compensation through your spouse).
Estimated Health Insurance Rates
Fall 2019: $735
Spring 2020: $735
Purchasing instructions will be included in your admissions packet.
- Insurance Plan Snapshot (PDF)
- Online Enrollment
- Petition to Approve Alternative Health Insurance Policy (PDF)
Anyone with a valid non-immigrant visa (except B1/B2, F2, M2) may enroll in SF State Extended Learning courses. Although enrollment in SF State Extended Learning is not considered admission to SF State, an I-20 ("Certificate of Eligibility") for F-1 student status will be issued when students are accepted into a full-time program in SF State Extended Learning and require a student visa to enter the country. Students entering the US using an F-1 visa must maintain full-time student status during the time they are enrolled in an approved program at SF State Extended Learning.
- Online payment. Instructions will be sent to your email after you apply. Your application will be processed when your confirmation fee is received.
- Check/money order payable to SF State-CEL. Mail to address below.
You are encouraged to submit a preliminary wish list using the course information in the bulletin or the class schedule, but this is not required for admission. Once we receive your preliminary course wish list we will provide you with initial advising. You can update your preferences once the class schedule is posted.
See English Proficiency Requirement
Graduate Study: TOEFL iBT80, IELTS 6.5 or the equivalent. Scores must be less than 2 years old.
See English Proficiency Requirement
Students from certain countries may be exempt from the English Proficiency requirements. Please review English Proficiency Requirement for details.
Send paper application, checks and/or supporting documents to:
Center for Global Engagement
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue, HUM 101
San Francisco, CA 94132
Or submit supporting documents to email@example.com